Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Friday, August 14, 2015

Another Year of New Beginnings

It's another new school year which brings new beginnings for us all.  I'm starting my eighteenth year of teaching. Seventeen of those years in the same school believe it or not. With each new year of teaching comes new students. They all bring a new outlook on life for me.  They tend to mold me not only as a teacher but as a person.  They change my outlook on the world making me more thankful for the job I have and place I'm at in life.  I started out as an interior design major and deep down in my heart I knew I really would always be a teacher.  I can't imagine my career choice being any different. 

My children as also facing new beginnings.  My son Tucker is starting his sophomore year.  He just bought a new, used to him, truck.  A Jeep Comanche which I hear from all the menfolk is a super cool truck.  He loves it more than life itself right now even though there is a little rust on the fenders, its got mud tires, it's red, and has a pretty kicking stereo in it. He will turn 16 next week.  Some firsts for him will be receiving a State Baseball Championship ring, hopefully some varsity football time, (also loving more than life itself), an assigned Ipad to himself at school, and more freedom to drive to go fishing, frogging, baseball lessons, get togethers at friend's houses, and running his sisters around for me, bonus!

My daughter Addie is 13 and in the eighth grade.  She has already strarted cheerleading practice and will soon start cheering at the junior high football games.  Fall will be here before we know it!  They are preparing to do a dance and next week's fall scrimmages, a big deal to an 8th grader. She'll also start volleyball practice next week.  She doesn't have too many firsts since 8th grade is similar to 7th grade but she's an upperclassman in that end of the building. That's a really big deal in junior high!  She's my social butterfly always wanting to go to a friend's house and hang out!  She's all about her friends right now!
My baby, Emmie, just started kindergarten.  I now have everyone in school.  It's sad for me as a mother that I really don't have any babies left.  When they are in preschool they still seem like mama's baby but once they are in all day kindergarten, they seem so grown up!  It's a first for me not to pick her up at noon to take her to preschool.  It's been hard on this mama not seeing her mid-day to ask about her day but I know she's in good hands since one of my best friend's is her teacher.  Her new beginning may be emotional for me but she's rocking kindergarten like a pro!
We have a tradition like other families to wear that new outfit on the first day of school, have a special breakfast, and I might take a picture or two or fifty give or take a couple.  Everything is laid out and planned out the night before sometimes even a week before.  New beginnings take time and planning as I want to look back at this time and think that I tried to make it special for them.

As I reflect back on all the new beginnings I think of a scripture in Lamentations 3:22-24: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.”  I really am truly blessed.  Even though things are changing very quickly and it leaves me emotional as a mother, I will wake each morning and count my blessings the Lord has given me.  I hope your new beginnings bring you joy this school year!






No comments:

Post a Comment